The Grandville Jenison Chamber is a member of the West Michigan Chamber Coalition –
The Governor unveiled his Marshall Plan for Talent. http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2018/02/22/snyder-marshall-plan-talent-jobs/110718920/
We got just a few more specifics. The plan is $100 million and will be spent on things like:
- $25M in scholarships and stipends for low-income Michiganders seeking certifications in high-demand careers.
- Providing incentives to teachers willing to get additional certifications into areas with shortages, like high school physics and career technical education.
- Grants to schools creating ‘world-class curricula’ that collaborate with businesses to create or expand classes that help prepare students for high-demand careers.
- Sharing best practices from those curricula and creating certification programs.
- Grants to schools partnering with businesses to train kids on the same high-tech equipment real businesses use.
- Incentives for increasing the number of students pursuing careers in cybersecurity.
- An awareness and outreach campaign to promote career opportunities.
- A new “Michigan Future Talent Council”
- ½ of amount going to build onto existing programs we know work
More information can be found here on the plan’s website: https://www.michigan.gov/ted/0,5863,7-336-85008-460819–,00.html